Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Wisconsin Idea

Coming into UW-Madison, I was nervous about the huge class sizes, but it turned out to be to my benefit.  There may be hundreds of students in your lectures, but almost every class has a discussion once a week with 20 or less students in it.  On top of the discussion, all the teachers and TA’s have multiple office hours, where they are more than willing to help you one on one.  After realizing that I wouldn’t just be student #400 to my teacher, the classes started to come easy.  Many students are misinformed by being told the school is big, which means the classes are harder.  I almost think the school becomes easier because classes are graded on how the majority does.  All my teachers put a curve on tests and grades making classes and tests easier to pass.  Students thinking about UW-Madison should not be deterred by the big class sizes.  

Madison also has extremely helpful advisors who make sure you’re on the path you want.  I came into my freshman orientation with no idea on what I wanted to do or what classes I wanted to take.  In 30 minutes the advisors sorted out what classes I should take with my interests in engineering and business finance.  They handed me two different sheets explaining all the classes I needed for both programs, and my personal advisor even organized my schedule to buy me time.  The credits I’m taking this year fulfill both majors, and now I have till next year to decide.  UW-Madison has advisors that care about your future, and they add to the overall Wisconsin experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment